Tuesday, April 7, 2009
My Love/Hate Relationship with Family History/Genealogy
I love my major. I hate my major. I hope to enlighten all on the good and bad of the genealogical community. First of all, that would mean defining the genealogical community. That is no easy task, which is one of the things I love/hate about genealogy. Some people would include everybody who is interested in the past, especially as how it relates to individuals, especially those who are dead. That would include genealogical researchers, photographers and everything in between. It includes old people, young people (and everyone in between). Many would also consider those interested in recording their own lives as included in the genealogical community. The problem is that it has become all inclusive. That isn't totally bad, as there are people who specialize in things that can help others. For instance, most professional genealogical researchers don't have an extensive background in photo restoration. This is where two professionals can really help each other. Putting them in the same "community" can be mutually beneficial. But, on the other hand, most professional genealogical researchers are not interested in all the points of photo restoration while a photo restorationist is probably not at all interested in doing genealogical research. Therefor, conflicts of interest can come up and the "community" as a whole has a hard time moving in the same direction at the same speeds. Photography and computers are lightyears ahead of historical records (although historical records are catching up slowly).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment